Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Holding onto an Offense

How do I know if I am holding onto an offense ?

The Blame Test
Do I blame everybody else for my anger and bitterness? “It’s because of what THEY did, HE did, SHE did.” This is an indication that I have been offended and I can’t let go. I say, “It would be so much better if that person was out of my life.” Blame is an indication of an offense you need to let go.

The Bitterness Test
Have I been keeping score? There’s a mental check list in my mind, and every time a person does something, I say, “You OWE me!” I may have had a person that made a major mistake in the past, and I am STILL holding it over their head. No matter how good they are to me, I keep saying in my own mind, “You OWE me!” I can’t forgive the offense. With this attitude, I am killing my relationship with them. And it’s because I can’t let go of the offense. If I want to save my relationships, I better let go and not bring it up again.

The Behavior Test
Do I ever find myself reacting to someone, not because of what they have done, but because they remind me of someone else? Do I remember something that my parents did to me as a child, and when someone seems to act the same way, I blow up? I get upset? I can rehearse it, and try to figure out ways to get even. Or I can release it, and experience God’s grace and forgiveness.

Everyone is going to be hurt in life. How I respond to that hurt is going to determine my level of happiness. For my own peace of mind, I need to let go of the hurt. Resentment doesn’t hurt the other person. It only hurts me. I am the one who is stewing, while others are going on with their lives.

I may say, “They’ve hurt me too much. I just can’t forgive them.” I’m right! I can’t! It’s only through the power of God in my life that I can forgive.

Christmas is the right time to repair relationships.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Hey, I wanted to let you know how much I really appreciated your sermon on Christmas Eve. The service was fantastic and you brought the point home perfectly. My brother, keep the faith and others will see how special (and needed) you really are. I love you.

Jon

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home